Sometimes I just want to gather all my people around and ask them what they've read this week, what they've been thinking about. A big, full conversation where we rip on each other's Fantasy Football performance and maybe lament the head cold we've been suffering under, but also share what we were moved by recently, what instructed us further than our own understanding could take us, what we were challenged, horrified, stupefied, brought to silly tears over.
I had a few snippets of conversations like that over the last several days. They were fun and life giving. And I can live with that because it's crazy to think it could all happen together in one big cozy room, because I don't live in Oxford and my friends and I don't smoke pipes or drink ale.
But here's what I've been crushing on and mulling over this week...
- I lose my mind a little every time someone posts about or brings up their personality type. I realize this leave me in the bitter cold lonesome no-mans-land where people are unaware of themselves. But this article I could handle.
- She's my instagram crush. And all her western landscapes lately are pushing me over the edge with autumn envy.
- I joke that the way we communicate is by sending each other articles. Thank goodness that's not all we do. But the articles are fun too. This one had me at hello. "Wild" and "Mass" in the same sentence sucked me right in. I think if I met this woman and she said those things to me in real time I would fall over and hit my head on a pew and go straight to heaven where I would hold Flannery O'Connor's hand and talk to Jesus.
- Speaking of Flannery and good old, haunted southern literature (which seems appropriate for autumn moods?), This classic has been my nighttime read and I was worried it would be too hard but it has been surprisingly sucking me in to the story, and then all the brilliant writing that goes into that and makes me hope I'll come out a deeper thinker than I really am.
- This is why we read. And eat dinner together. And put the phones away. And don't give the kids ipads.
- Eating. It's endless. I love it, but sometimes it seems like people never stop needing food. And after school snacks. This one was a favorite at the end of a long week and the beginning of our October Holiday.
- And after I read about the crazy amazing lady at that mass one day... it led to this one. And I had to tell The Man that really his making coffee for me every morning is like praying.
- Also had to order one of these, which made me cringe into all sorts of adult fetal positions because I was so done with these and had already gotten rid of all of them and I can already feel my shoulders aching from a ridiculously heavy baby. But you know... after a bit of a scare this week I also am over the moon to meet this child. So another wrap it is.
- Love listening to him lately.
- This is mostly how I keep up on the craziness that is my home country. Debates... the latest outrageous statements, mostly-sorta-probably-not-that-unbiased review of the political landscape we are mired in (but thousands of miles away from).
- May your weekend be full of good reads and good talks.